Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mt Greylock via Thunderbolt ski trail  (Read 7199 times)
scottie4183
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

scottie4183
View Profile Email
« on: October 02, 2006, 07:40:36 PM »

So i figured i'd beat atruss to the TR for once even though he had the camera. My main goal is just to post these two pics i found from back in the 1930s because I think they are pretty cool. So without further ado...here they are.

I will let atruss post the actual report while i search more for the ski races that were held there.

chip the glasses...crack the plates!
scottie4183
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

scottie4183
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 07:45:52 PM »

Just a continuation....here is an article i found online

http://members.tripod.com/~mountainmajesty/synopsis.html

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 07:59:53 PM »

Quick TR.

Found the Thunderbolt, hiked it, it was better than I expected, views were great, and finidng a warming hut at the top was a nice addition for the winter trecks we will be making up there.

Pictures are on the way, but Im beat at the moment, and I would like a chance to actually edit and correct color in the photos.

Look back around Wednesday night, when I have some time.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 05:27:39 AM »

Hope you guys had fun. I was thinking how jealous I was of you guys yesterday.
You were out hiking in what looked like great weather here. And I was stick chained to this desk.
Wish I was there. Hell wish I was hiking anywhere!

Cool pictures too.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 09:24:50 PM »

We started our hike up towards the Thunderbolt trail via Greylock Glen area on Gould and Thiel Road.  From the start the Thunderbolt trail is not marked until you find the trial in a ways, then there are a few signs. Finding the trail if you have never been there before can be a challange, even if you have a map, as there are trails not on the map that will turn you around.  I imagine in the winter there will be skin tracks up which will make finding this gem a little easier.

We found the trail and headed up, my excitment level increased with every step, "this is going to be SWEET this winter" - I have to admit I did not expect such a nice trail, I thought it would be more overgrown and require alot of cleanup, which is does not.  Grin

This is where we parked, although this was taken at the end of our trip

The start of the Thunderbolt near the bottom

As we made our way up, the trail got steeper -- YIPPIE !!

This is one of my favorite sections of the trail

Looking outwards, this is the view you are treated with

At the top of the trail you have the ultimate view

Around the bend there was a nice suprise, a warming shelter with several wood stoves !! (no overnight camping allowed, unless it is an emergency)

Looking out of the shelter

And just through the woods headed to the lodge and past the warming hut you find this.....

On the shelter there are several signs

This one was inside

The Greylock tower built by the CCC

It was open so we went up, cool tunnels up to the staircase

The view from the top of the tower

We decided to take a peak inside the lodge only to find a nice fireplace and a warm chair where you see the children in this picture

We had a seat by the fire, I ate my trailmix and drank some water, 10mins later we were on our way back down

Fantastic hike, not to difficult, I can see making two runs without too much trouble during the winter, I didnt see any campsites near by, I would like to stay overnight off trail some place if allowed.  I will have to do further research on that topic.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 09:27:34 PM by atruss » Logged

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 08:05:11 AM »

So basically you will be doing some back woods down hill skiing? Or is this more of a cross country skiing trail?

I went backpacking in that area a few years ago. Just a weekend trip with my little cousin who was 12. (I'll never do that again) I don't remember exactly were it was. Off the At near a large water fall. I stayed away from the top of Graylock since there was a road that you could drive to the top.
So you can definitely camp there. I would say in the winter you could probably camp anywhere you would like out of view from a trail. I would be a little concerned about the snowmobiling though. But not much.
If I remember correctly I had to get a permit for parking. Don't know if this applies in the winter also.

Now would you ne snow shoeing up to the top orr just post holeing it?
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 08:30:15 AM »

I will be skinning up to the top with my AT skis and skins.

This will definitly be downhill backcountry skiing, with a pitch of 35 deg and a vertical gain of 2000" + its quite the ski run.

Lets just hope we get some snow this year that actually lasts longer than 2 days.

Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 10:26:24 AM »

Sounds like a fun weekend adventure.
What are skins? Sorry Just don't know.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 11:52:33 AM »

Consider them 1 way felt that is placed on the bottom of your skis which allow you to climb uphill with them on.  It adds friction so you dont need to carry your skis. Similar to X country skiing but up hill. Ill post a pic of a pair later on, but the bell just rang so I have to go teach now...  Shocked

scottie4183
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

scottie4183
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 08:45:37 PM »

GREAT TRIP REPORT ATRUSS....JUST HAD TO TOO YOUR HORN!!!! WHAT AN AWESOME JOB!  Smiley

seriously though....nice report....the pics just dont do the pitch justice....it's steep!

Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 05:13:13 AM »

How long did it take you guys to drive up there?
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 06:00:20 AM »

About 1.5 hours, its really close. Adams MA.

It took about an hour and 20 mins to climb, maybe a little longer, but it only took 35 mins to climb down cause we jogged down.

scottie4183
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

scottie4183
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 06:19:04 AM »

I jogged....you fell down

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 06:20:49 AM »

Controlled falling to be exact.

skituxnoob
Day Tripper

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 08:04:32 PM »

Ahh the memories of my childhood. Ive stayed in that lodge before, was the end of a 4-5 day appalachian trail backpack. While i don't remember seeing any sign like that or ski trail lookin areas I do remember us camping out in a lean-to(maybe tent, its been some years) where we were able to get to summit well before lunch. It's on the appalachain trail if you want to look it up.

Thanks for the pics, and don't forget to wear your shoes in the dining hall!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: