Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ice Climbing @ Peoples State Forest CT 12-30-10  (Read 7290 times)
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:23:35 PM »

Scottie, Les, and I climbed what could be climbed at Jessie Gerard in Peoples State Forest yesterday.
There was plenty to climb.

We first all took a lap on the standard main route and then Les took my rope and set up a "mixed" route.

Mixed = Rock & Ice

We free soloed up to the mid section of the main route and climbed lookers left near the curtain of the flow, we belayed from that location and lowered below the belay to the lower pitch called "bird's nest", ascended bird's and on and upward on the mixed route which was a lot of fun.

Here's the pics of the "mixed-route" which is when I took out my camera, I wish I had some shots of the first route but it all looks the same, and there's plenty of pics of that route on there already from last year.

Here's the new "mixed-route" Les set up.

Stemming out onto rock with left, and ice on right

Closer

Transition from mixed onto all ice at this point

Les in mid swing

Good view of the mixed challenge

Good view of the curtain

Scottie heading up 2nd half

Stem out

Another "Mixed" route under the over hang here

Photo Credits
Shots of Atruss taken by Les
Shots of Les and Scottie taken by Atruss

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »

Beautiful shots!

I consider tough mixed routes to be the ultimate in mountaineering.  Not necessarily the hardest, but the most complete expression of the mountain experience, using at least some of the skills from every mountaineering discipline.  Additionally, I find the that the key to mixed routes is often based on a deep understanding of the mountain environment -- it's never just one ax plant after another or one retable leading to the next.

Good work!

Tommy T.

Around the bend in the last canyon; just over that false summit on the final peak; lost in the cold smoke of the ultimate powder ride -- I shall not quit until it is over.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »

Mixed is a new animal for me this season and I really like it.

I've honed a few photoshop techniques dealing with light and color correction techniques, I think it's helped a bunch.
Hopefully this will be the first of many ice climbing TRs.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
scottie4183
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

scottie4183
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »

Hopefully this will be the first of many ice climbing TRs.

your wife read this?

it was a great day yesterday. can't get much better for ct. TR'd a few more routes after atruss left. ones that other parties said were "too thin" or 'not in'
come on...it's CT people. when will it ever be "in"

chip the glasses...crack the plates!
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 09:58:50 PM »

Forget skiing.

Next year Atruss is going to be TR'ing Scottish ice gullies on Ben Nevis!

Tommy T.

Around the bend in the last canyon; just over that false summit on the final peak; lost in the cold smoke of the ultimate powder ride -- I shall not quit until it is over.
p1fiend
Mountaineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:49:52 AM »

Awesome pics!

Way to take advantage of what's available in CT too.

After I get my priorities straight I wanna start getting into climbing and maybe try some of that next year (I think I wrote the exact thing in one of the preivous ice climbing TRs too  Cheesy).

I've only been to People's once, and I started from the Elliott Bronson way off from the East.  The Jessie Gerard trail is tucked into the park,  how far can you drive up the park road?  Did you have to hike in from further out?

Forgot to mention - I was out on the Mattabasset, south of Rt. 66 up top Powder Ridge on Friday 12/31.  There happened to be a couple of kids up there, one of which said he worked for the Meriden Record journal (paper).  He asked me about hiking, and mentioned People's state, to which I told him there's supposed to be some great ice climbing there in the winter  Smiley...nice timing.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:52:59 AM by p1fiend » Logged

Long Days and Pleasant Nights   http://www.timstripstoday.shutterfly.com/
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »

Nice!  Love mixxed stuff, soooo fun. I got out a little bit last week but all my local stuff melted this past weekend.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »

Yeah, sad to say but I'd guess all that ice has fallen or de-laminated from the rock by now.
There were people attempting to climb it on Saturday I think.

Where is the COLD, this can't be Jan "hhaw" we never had a "freeze"   !!!

I'm so tired of being disappointed by the winter season down here....
Its like having a HOT girlfriend who cheats on you; Too hot to leave her, but is often in another state blowing.........................snow

cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »

That's CT for you....great snow fall followed up by rain storm and/or heat wave!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: